Here is a free Google Analytics report showing visits, pageview, bounce rate, and visitor type metrics in a couple of ways you don’t often see them:
- By ‘Hour of Day’
- By ‘Day of Week’
There are 2 versions of the report, one for ‘all sites’, and one for ‘ecommerce’ sites:
- Here’s the report: http://bit.ly/hrdreport (there are 4 tabs in the report)
- Here’s an ecommerce version: http://bit.ly/hrdecommerce (includes revenue, transaction metrics)
Background & Description
Here’s an example from the report. Below, you see I’ve sorted it by ‘visits’ descending, and this tells me that Hour 21. (9pm) was the most popular within the period I was looking at. (eg, I could be looking at a period of a month, and it would add up all of the visits within each ‘9pm’ hour to come to the total ‘134,108’):
These are useful for everyone, but especially for content sites or anyone interested in ‘content marketing‘.
The 4 tabs in the report cover:
- Hour of Day – when do you get most visits/pageviews. If you set the timespan on this over (say) a couple of months, this helps you figure out when you’re most visited. Experiment with post times, try and fill in the ‘quiet’ gaps, etc, and see how you can improve based on the data.
- Day of Week – very similar to the first tab, but for day of week.
- Day + Hour Combined. If you sort this descending by number of visits, it tells you very quickly which ‘hour of the week’ your site is most visited.
- ‘Linear’ Date + Hour. This shows you, over any period, which were the most popular periods on the site. (in other words, rather than saying ‘9pm was the most popular over the entire period’, it would say ‘9pm on 7th january was the most popular single hourly period’).
You can apply the Google Analytics Report to any account/profile by clicking this link: http://bit.ly/hrdreport . If you have an ecommerce site, this version contains revenue/transaction/conversion metrics: http://bit.ly/hrdecommerce