Dan Barker works across fintech, ecommerce, digital marketing, analytics, ux, customer experience & customer satisfaction, research, as well as broader technology and business strategy areas. This site contains some basic info about Dan (do get in touch if you’d like to chat – [email protected]).
ABOUT DAN BARKER:
Across the years I’ve worked for over 200 brands in various capacities, having worked in various in-house roles along with many years as an independent consultant. I have worked up to CMO level for companies several times, as well as some board and co-ownership experience. In-house I’ve been responsible for multi-million budgets, and direct responsibility for the revenue-generating side of a couple of businesses in the mid 8-figure per year revenue range.
I am particularly interested in digital technology, having worked with the web since the 90s. I began as a software engineer, and moved on via various data, marketing, ecommerce and fintech roles, including managing teams & departments up to C level. I have generally worked either on short term projects to ‘fix’ particular issues, or in longer term roles leading or guiding areas of a business.
I have been lucky enough to work across many industries, including ecommerce, financial tech, broader retail, digital technology, in addition to destinations, banks, publishers, startups, and various other areas outside. This work has sometimes been at an executional level, sometimes purely strategic, and has covered all stages from research & planning, to measurement & optimisation, to leading departments on an interim basis. Some engagements have been very short, to achieve very specific goals; some have lasted a number of years.
CATEGORIES & SECTORS:
Categories I’ve worked in include (in no particular order, and not comprehensive):
- Finance/Fintech: One of the world’s fastest growing fintech businesses. Two large, multinational banks, one of the world’s largest payment providers, one of the world’s largest money transfer firms, one of the UK’s leading investment & trading websites.
- Book Publishing: 27 of the world’s best selling authors, via 3 of the world’s largest publishers.
- Magazines & News Groups: 1 of the world’s largest news publishing groups; a multi-million visit per month national newspaper; 12 trade magazines, half a dozen consumer magazines.
- Ecommerce & Retail: More than a dozen high-street retailers (a few with hundreds of stores across multiple countries); categories covering men’s & women’s fashion, toys, furniture, cosmetics, gifts, electronics, a department store group, pets, crafts, footwear, and various others.
- Luxury: 3 or 4 luxury retailers.
- Destinations: One of the world’s leading museums, a world-leading opera venue, a UNESCO world heritage site, a couple of the UK’s most well-known tourist destinations, a very well known arts venue.
- Travel: 3x travel firms.
- Food & Drink: Several wine retailers (one of the fastest growing in the world, one in the £100m+ a year online category), some of the UK’s best known tea brands.
- Electronics: 4x electronics brands (inc one of the world’s largest groups), the UK’s largest B2B IT retailer. A very large telecoms company, plus a very small small telecoms company.
- Sports: A bike retailer, the UK’s leading women’s sports apparel brand, the UK’s oldest skateboard retailer, a US boxing organisation.
- Learning: 2x large learning charities, 1x multi-national language learning organisation (more than 50m members).
- Agencies & Consultancies: 3x UX & Service Design agencies, 4 or 5 SEO agencies, a few Analytics & Conversion Optimisation agencies, a few Content agencies.
- Startups: Several startups in the mobile, video, fashion, publishing, ad-tech, affiliate, retail, analytics, and fintech sectors. One of the world’s leading VC firms.
- Automotive: A group owning some of the world’s most well known automotive brands (work covered 34 regions, including apps, mobile, web).
- Legal: Work for 3 legal firms, plus a small amount of Expert Witness work.
- Recruitment: 12 job sites, plus the UK’s largest ecommerce recrutiment company.
- Charity: Several charities in the strict sense of the word, some for organisations with charitable status.
- B2B: Several B2B retailers + various service companies.
Most of this work has been in the UK & Europe, some in the USA, some for companies spanning multiple regions. Some has been with other agencies/consultants, almost all now direct for clients.
While not totally useful, LinkedIn categorises me within the following areas: Ecommerce, Analytics, Digital Marketing, SEO, PPC, Digital Strategy, Email Marketing, Social Media, Advertising, Conversion Optimisation, Usability & UX, Media Analysis, Affiliate Marketing, Content & Content Marketing, Lead Generation, Customer Satisfaction:
Below is an old list of bullet pointed areas I’ve covered, which may add some nuance to the above:
WEB MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE
- Managing & recruiting teams
- Web analytics
- Copywriting & content creation
- Content management systems
- Web design
- Web development
- Site structuring & information architecture
DIGITAL MARKETING EXPERIENCE
- Affiliate marketing
- Aggregators & price comparison
- Customer acquisition & retention online
- Email marketing (creative, broadcast, reporting)
- Planning & execution to achieve ROI online
- Search engine marketing (seo & pay-per-click)
- Visitor conversion
- Freelance, agency & client-side work
- Business requirements analysis & specification
- Budget management including P&L
- Business process outsourcing
- Coaching, mentoring & teaching
- International experience – both working on global projects & working abroad
- Project management for the web
- People management
- Relationship management – with suppliers, partners, clients and agencies
- Web strategy
ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND NOTES
- First Class Honours Degree – Software Engineering focusing on the web.
- Certificate in Digital Marketing – earning highest grade among 20+ professional marketers.
- Also studied: Data for Marketing, IT & the Law, Journalism, Photography, Creative Writing, various Google qualifications.
- Non-Exec director experience of 2 organisations.
- Written for publications including Econsultancy, New York Observer, Smart Insights, .net Magazine, etc.
- Judged UK Search Awards and Middle East Search Awards.